In Moodle, creating Turnitin submission boxes involves two distinct stages. Without completing the second stage, a default submission window of one week is used; beginning the moment you create the submission box.
Instructions on configuring the submission dates are outlined in Step Two of this document.
Creating submission boxes
Step one: Create the submission box
- Login to Moodle, enter the course site and Turn editing on;
- Scroll down to the topic where you want the submission box link to appear and click the “Add an activity or resource” link in that topic area;
- In the following pop-up, tick “Turnitin Assignment” and click Add;
- Complete the form on the following screen, in particular noting the following:
- Student Originality Reports controls whether students can view the results of the originality assessment. If you want to provide them with access, select yes.
- Report Generation Speed controls whether students can resubmit their work. To allow resubmissions, select “Generate reports immediately, reports can be overwritten until due date.
- Important: Restrict Access is NOT where you configure the due date for the assignment. In nearly all cases you will want to leave these settings in their default state.
- When you have completed the form, click “Save and Display” to access the next step. Alternatively use “Save and return to course,” then click on the submission box link on the home page.
Step two: Set the start date, due date, and post date
In Moodle, the settings for Start Date, Due Date, and Post Date are updated after the initial submission box is created. Upon entering the submission box, the current dates are displayed in the Summary area (see below). By default Turnitin allocates a due date one week after the submission box is first created.
To update theses values click on the pencil icon on the right side of the table. Once in the edit view, use the drop down menus and text fields to finalise the assignment details, then click Submit to save the changes. At this point the submission box has been finalized and is ready for use by students.