Activity Completion / Course Completion conditions are locked after 1 or more users have been marked as complete. There can be situations where you will have to unlock the completion conditions as the only option for several reasons.
We always recommend that you proceed with caution when unlocking completion data and removing course completion conditions once there are users within the course who have already been marked complete under those conditions.
Also, it is advisable to take a backup of the course before you unlock the completion conditions in case you should need to reinstate the original version if a rollback is required.
Listed below are the associated risks that you will have to consider before unlocking Activity / Course Completion
1. The unlocking of course completion or activity completion deletes the current user completions (dates and times) and recalculates based on the new conditions set.
2. The completion status will be reinstated when the next completion calculation task runs, which is usually every 15-30 minutes.
3. When the next completion cron runs after the unlocking the completion, it searches for all the users who satisfy the new requirements and awards a completion status but with a new time and date stamp.
4. For the period of time between when you unlock completions and the next completion calculation task runs, the user will appear as incomplete.
5. The risk associated with this is that when the completion is reinstated, it will mark the user as complete with a new time and date (not their actual completion time and date previously recorded).
6. It may lead to some level of confusion for users if their completion date has suddenly changed.
7. Also please be informed that sometimes completion data may not be recovered especially within activity completion settings with the 'view' and 'manual completion by a student' conditions will not be reinstated.